Skincare doesn’t mean doing a 10 step routine or using exotic ingredients, but finding the right products that work effectively for your skin type. Now, here comes a million-dollar question: “How can it be done?” It is just possible if you know your skin type well, because not every skincare product suits your skin. So you need to be careful while buying products as misusing products may lead to skin problems like dehydration, wrinkles, pimples, hyperpigmentation, redness or even inflammation.
If you don’t know your skin type yet, then no worries. We are going to tell you some ways through which you can do this without any extra effort or visiting a dermatologist.
Why do you need to know your skin type?
By understanding what type of skin you have, you can begin to make informed decisions for your skin. As for skincare, today the market is flooded with a variety of products, but finding the right products that are suitable for your skin is only possible if you know your skin type well. So, knowing your skin type will help in giving your skin the right care and protection it needs now and for years to come.
Different Skin types & their common Characteristics
Every person’s skin is unique, but here we are explaining a few common skin types that may help you to identify where your skin fits in the most. The main skin types are commonly referred to as Oily, Dry, Combination and Sensitive skin. Let’s figure out their characteristics now:
- Oily Skin
Oily skin produces an excess of sebum that makes your face appear shiny and greasy. The pores are visibly enlarged on the T-zone which includes forehead, nose and chin. Makeup doesn’t stay longer on face and seems to slide off. Oilier skin usually has more blackheads, pimples and acne breakouts.
- Dry Skin
Dry skin typically has a tight, dull and rough texture because dry skin produces less sebum than normal skin. Therefore, due to less moisture, it starts to flake off, cracks in the skin appear and it shrinks. Dry skin is more prone to wrinkles and visible lines on the face.
- Combination Skin
Combination skin is oilier in T-Zone (forehead, nose and chin) while cheeks feel dry or normal. Oily areas have large pores while cheeks are less likely to have acne breakout and pimples.
- Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin gets reactive to external irritants like chemicals in products, dyes and fragrances as well as to environmental factors more easily. Such type of skin develops rashes & sunburns more often and is prone to acne breakouts. It often shows redness and inflammation as a result of dryness.
Ways to Know your Skin type
Misdiagnosing your skin type can aggravate your skin problems and lead to unnecessary irritations like excess oil production, acne breakouts, or even dryness. Here we are going to mention some ways that will help you know your skin type so effortlessly at home.
1.The Bare-Faced Method
This at-home test allows you to understand what kind of skin you have by just observing your skin without applying any product on it. You have to give your skin rest for an hour to observe changes in your skin.
- Use Golden Pearl Perfect Glow Facial Cleanser to cleanse your face. This cleanser has VITAMIN C and CITRIC ACID as its effective ingredients that deeply penetrate into the skin pores and clean them from dirt, excess oil and makeup traces. It also restores natural pH balance of your skin and makes it ready to absorb moisture and nutrients. It is suitable and gentle for all skin types.
- After cleansing, pat dry your face with a tissue and leave it bare.
- Do not apply any product on your face for an hour.
After an hour some changes will appear on your face naturally, that will help you understand the type of your skin.
Here are the results you would feel after leaving your face bare for an hour:
- If your skin feels shiny and greasy then you have an Oily skin.
- If your skin feels tight, dry and somewhat itchy then you have Dry skin.
- If your skin is greasy or shiny at T-Zone while cheeks are dry or normal, then you have a Combination skin.
- If there is itching, burying and stinging in different patches of your face that means you have Sensitive skin.
If your skin feels not too dry, or not too oily then congratulations you have a Normal skin.
2.Blotting Sheet Method
Want a quick and effective method to know your skin type? Blotting sheet method is another quick and effective method to know your skin type in just half an hour.
- Use Golden Pearl Herbal Face Wash, suitable for all skin types to wash your face.
- Pat dry your skin using a napkin or face towel.
- Do not apply any product on your face and leave bare for half an hour.
- Next, take some good-quality blotting sheet and spread it all over your face.
- Gently dab/pat on your face. Now, hold the sheet up to the light.
Here are the results that will help you know your skin type.
- If the sheet is smudged and stained with oil, it shows you have an Oily skin.
- If there’s no mark of oil on the sheet and it remains dry, then you have Dry skin.
- If the sheet gets oily stain from the T-zone while other areas remain unstained then you have a Combination skin.
- If the blotting sheet stays clear, then you have a Normal skin
- If your skin does not leave any oil stain on the sheet but there is itching or stinging, then you have a Sensitive skin.
So, using any of the above mentioned methods you can know your skin type easily. Knowing your skin type will help you to get healthier, glowing and flush skin without any delay by just using the right skincare products and routine according to your own skin type. You can also buy our face wash and cleanser mentioned above as they are highly recommended and suitable for all skin types and leave your skin radiant and clean in just a few minutes.